Learn how to play the original game of poker: five card draw.
Time Required: 15 mintues
- Players ante up (place a small bet in the pot).
- Starting with the player to the dealer's left, the dealer deals each player five cards, face down.
- Everyone picks up their cards from the table and checks out what they’ve got.
- There’s a round of betting, starting with the player to the dealer’s left.
Need more help on betting rules and terms? Read Betting Basics.
- When the betting is done, those who are still in the hand get to trade in one, two, or three cards from their hand for new ones. If a player has an ace, he/she can trade in the other four cards in his/her hand, but usually has to show the ace.
Note: You don’t have to trade any cards – if you’ve already got good hand, you’ll want to “stand pat” and keep the cards you were first dealt.
- After everyone receives their new cards, there’s another round of betting, starting to the dealer's left.
- After the betting is completed, players show their hands and the best hand wins the pot.
(Not sure what hands beat what? Here's a list of hand rankings.)
What You Need
- Deck of Cards
- 2-8 Players