Johnny Chan's Vital Stats:
Johnny Chan was born in 1957 in Hong Kong and with his 2005 World Series of Poker win, has won 10 WSOP bracelets -- a feat only matched by Doyle Brunson and surpassed by Phil Hellmuth. He's won two back-to-back World Series main events, in 1987 and 1988, and almost made it three in a row in 1989, but lost to Phil Hellmuth.
Johnny Chan's Poker Nickname:
"The Orient Express"
Johnny Chan at the Table:
Johnny Chan is an intimidating presence at the table, as he's one of the best in the game, and since his appearance in the movie "Rounders," he's also one of the most highly recognizable.
He's known also for always having an orange with him at the table, which he originally started doing when smoking was still allowed during the big tournaments. He'd keep the orange so he could have a breath of citrus-fresh air to clear his mind.
Johnny Chan's Favorite Player:
According to an article in Bluff magazine, Chip Reese is the player Chan admires the most.
Johnny Chan's Notable World Series of Poker Wins:
- 2005 Pot-Limit Hold'em Event
- 2003 No-Limit Hold'em Event
- 2003 Pot-Limit Hold'em Event
- 2000 Pot-Limit Omaha Event
- 1997 Deuce-to-Seven Draw Event
- 1994 Seven-Card Stud Event
- 1988 No-Limit Hold'em Main Event
- 1987 No-Limit Hold'em Main Event
- 1985 Limit Hold'em Event
Johnny Chan Trivia:
- Johnny drives a car with the license plate JJ333, a hand which won him a lot of money.
- He was Jamie Gold's poker mentor
- Johnny's habit of having an orange at the table with him started back when poker rooms allowed smoking, and he used the orange as "an air freshener"